The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) Secretariat is implementation the Regional Enterprise Competitiveness and Access to Markets Programme (RECAMP), funded under the 11European Development Fund (EDF). The RECAMP aims at contributing to increased private sector participation in regional and global value chains. The Programme Overall objective is to contribute to the deepening of regional economic integration in the COMESA region through enhancing the competitiveness of the private sector with the Specific objective to increase private sector participation in sustainable regional and global value chains by increasing access to markets and improving business and investment climate.
The program will contribute to the attainment of the COMESA treaty provisions on private sector development. COMESA treaty recognises the importance of women as a vital economic link within the chain of agriculture, industry and trade. The Member States have agreed to increase the awareness of Women in Business issues at the policy level as well as promoting the effective participation of women in the Common Market trade and developmental activities.
One of the result areas for the program is Competitiveness and market access of MSMEs and other firms in the targeted value chains/sectors are sustainably enhanced. in this regard, the project will be providing technical assistance and advisory services for SMEs with the aim of improving business management performance and coordination among SMEs and other value chain players. Specifically, the focus of the advisory services will be to overcome preidentified barriers to internationalization and value-addition in the targeted value chains.
Targeted business assistance will ensure that entrepreneurs are better prepared to turn business ideas into successful new ventures that have a greater-than - average chance of success. COMFWB, working in collaboration with the COMESA division of Gender and Social Affairs is promoting women businesses in all sectors through the 50MAWSP platform which compliments and synergies the efforts under RECAMP.
COMFWB is hiring 21 national consultants each and the first group in 2021 will be based in 10 Member states DR Congo, Tunisia, Sudan, Rwanda, Malawi, Eritrea, Madagascar, Eswatini, Libya and Comoros Islands while the remaining 10 MSs will follow in the 2021 plan. This program will support the provision of business advisory services to women entrepreneurs on optimizing sourcing, lean supply chain, production, logistics, packaging, export management, marketing and branding, e-commerce, support on product packaging, labelling and branding in Agri-business (Cassava, horticulture foods, honey, dairy, legumes, olive oil and many more), Textiles, ICT, Handicrafts and Technology (ICT and value addition equipment).
The specific objectives of the consultancy are to:
- Undertake a training session on marketing and branding of goods and services
- Enable participants to brainstorm innovative business ideas for the new normal
- Facilitate a training session on Financial literacy and access to finance
- Conduct a training session on e-commerce and utilization of the women owned firms, linked to the 50 Million African Women Speak digital platform for women for enhanced business information and networking services and opportunities in the above mentioned targeted value chains (most women don’t have the capacity or access to computers so they have been using smart phones) we want to train them to use computers to expand and manage their businesses formally and register to use the 50MAWSP platform properly for their business promotions, upscaling, linkages and mentoring services )
- Training on meeting regional and international market standards, testing and certification requirements
- Build capacity of women to enhance their connectivity to global production networks and cross border trades
- To upskill women entrepreneurs on the production of quality products, standards and ready for exports and trade
The candidate should
- Have minimum of (5) years of consultancy experience in market access, market research, innovative products
- Be able to inspire and conduct capacity building of women entrepreneurs for market resiliency
- Be able to create and deliver training manuals (general and specific sector) for any entrepreneur
- Have a background working with African Women and youth Entrepreneurs at the grassroots level and at professional business setting
The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) and COMFWB now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services for a duration of three (3) months. Interested consultants must provide information through their Curriculum Vitae indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, etc.).
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours from Monday to Friday, 08:00 hours to 17:30 hours. Expressions o f interest must be delivered to the address below by 20 September 2021 at 17:30 hours Lilongwe Time (C.A.T) and mention “Expression of Interest for Consultancy Services on “SME Business Advisory Services Consultancy”
Ground Floor Zimbabwe House
City Centre P.O. Box 1499
Lilongwe – MALAWI